The price of education: CISD teachers weigh in on state budget cuts

Last spring, when the Texas Legislature balanced the budget, public schools were at first uncertain of the immediate effects of the decreases upon them.  By the end of May, it was clear changes would have to be made in order to accommodate the loss of government funding.  Now, with the school year in full swing, a few of Randall’s English teachers said they are noticing some differences.

“CISD did not replace an English teacher we lost last year, so our class sizes are larger,” Sue Hair said. “I expect the decrease in teaching staff and increase in class sizes to continue.”

In those days leading up to the Texas House’s passage of the bill cutting the statewide public education funding by $4 billion, protestors, many of them educators, stood outside the building complete with picket signs and posters condemning the passing of the bill.  English and Humanities teacher Jean Abercrombie said the education budget cuts are very much political.

“Everyone in America has the chance to receive a quality education if he will take advantage of it and do his part in earning it,” Abercrombie said.  “Our education has been turned into ‘teaching to the test’ and ‘passing the test,’ and such educational pedagogy does not produce an educated citizen who can think for himself and contribute to our society.”

As Hair mentioned earlier, these cuts are only going to continue, with another $3 million loss next school year.  Shawn Lance said this could force officials to rethink the educational system we have now.

“I do not believe that huge amounts of money are necessary for education,” Lance said.  “Money is necessary for the structure and custom of schooling that America is used to.  I think this structure is flawed, so maybe the cuts will force us to look at what works, what doesn’t work, and what we can change.” 

While reform may be an effect of the loss of money, and it cannot all be for the worst, Abercrombie said policymakers are making a great deal of money at educators’ expense. 

“Cutting education funds, whether for books and buildings or for teachers and staff, is an unproductive way to improve our American way of life and the success of the great American middle class,” Abercrombie said.