Randall students, staff welcome new liaison officer

When walking through the hallways, some students might notice a new face watching the crowd of students as they walk to their classes.

Randall’s new liaison officer, Officer Kevin Clayton, took Officer Gabe Luna’s position after Luna announced he would be leaving RHS after he was given a promotion with the Amarillo Police Department.

“[Officer Luna] was promoted to Sergeant,” principal Steve Williams said. “We hated to lose him, but we were also very excited for him.”

Williams said there was a board that interviewed nine officers who applied for the RHS liaison job. After asking questions and filling out a form, they were ranked one through nine. Randall received the first officer on the list, and Clayton had the highest score.

“I think he’s going to be really good,” Williams said. “He has a lot of experience speaking at schools, [which was something he did] when he worked for the fire department.”

Clayton, who is a 1997 Randall graduate, said the school still looks the same as it did back then.

“Randall’s East campus used to be Valleyview Junior High,” Clayton said. “[But] the school still looks the same, and some of the administrators and teachers are still here.”

Williams said he remembers Clayton from when he attended Randall.

“He was one of the best basketball players that ever came out of Randall High School,” Williams said. “I knew him pretty well as far as a student goes. He took a lot of pride in what he did.”

The duties for liaison officer entail making sure the school is safe for students and faculty and being able to be there for students when they need them. Although Clayton didn’t start his position until Oct. 22, he said he’s already enjoying being the liaison officer.

“It’s pretty neat being able to work at the same high school I graduated from,” Clayton said. “The students are great as well as the faculty.”

Williams said he’s staying optimistic about Clayton being the new liaison officer.

“Over time, they’ll start trusting Officer Clayton and start going to him,” Williams said. “I think Officer Clayton has the potential to be an incredible liaison officer and we’re really excited about it.”