Students collect donations to help hurricane victims

Paige James, Staff Writer

Hurricane Harvey, a category four storm, hit the Texas Gulf Coast on Aug. 25. The storm led to the destruction of homes and buildings, causing some residents to evacuate their homes, and others to lose their life.

Now, the Randall Key Club is doing what they can to help the victims of the natural disaster.

“Key Club really wanted to help the hurricane victims in south Texas, but I kept reading stories about how the amount of donations was actually slowing volunteer efforts because of the amount of manpower needed to collect and distribute donations,” Key Club sponsor Cassi Unger said. “We decided that gift cards would be a better option so that families could purchase the items they need.”

The Key Club collected Walmart, Target, and Visa gift cards to donate to hurricane victims.

“We are sending the gift cards to a sister Key Club in the Bay area of Houston,” Unger said. “They can distribute the gift cards where they see a need.”

Key Club raised almost $500 to donate.

“I love the fact that Key Club got its members to raise money for the victims,” senior Triston Dees said. “As someone who had family that was hurt because of the hurricane, I know that the money that Key Club raised is very beneficial.”

Dees said it is vital for students, whether they be in high school or college, to donate to not only the hurricane victims, but also for other things.

“When someone donates, a feeling of compassion and importance takes over,” Dees said. “Knowing that you have helped someone changes a person for the better and I think that every person should have these feelings.”

Freshman Rylee Cherne and his family collected donations from his Boy Scout Troop, Troop 87.

“My family accepted donations such as water pallets and other essentials,” Cherne said. “It was my mother’s idea to help because she thought it was ridiculous how people were selling water for hundreds of dollars per case instead of giving it for free to help their own community.”

Cherne said after he and his family received the donations they drove the items to Austin, where the items were distributed to different charities, and then taken to Houston.

“We want to help everyone we can,” freshman and member of Boy Scout Troop 87 Grady Hodge said. “(The hurricane) hurt a lot of people and destroyed memories that people had in their houses, but it also brought us together as a nation.”

The Randall High and Canyon High Student Councils also joined to help hurricane victims. The two councils are currently collaborating to collect school supplies and personal hygiene items for Houston ISD. Donations will be accepted in the front office of both schools before Oct. 1.

“As I drive around town or go into a shop I see posters asking for donations of money, water, and or food,” Dees said. “I love that the community feels an obligation to reach out and help our fellow Americans. It’s nice to think that even when America is struggling socially and politically, we can all put that aside to help out those in need.”