A Brief Breakdown of Winter 2018 Olympic Results

Fatimah Dixon, Staff Writer

Every four years, a winning country is chosen. Records are broken and new names become great, seasoned players. What is this event called? Why, it is both the Winter and Summer Olympics, and this year, the Winter Olympics has come to pay another visit.

The events of the 2018 Winter Olympics have been nothing short of spectacular. The Winter Olympics, which is held in Pyeongchang, South Korea this year, began Feb. 9 and will end Feb. 25. This Olympics, unlike its Summer counterpart, hosts a multitude of winter sports events, such as ice hockey, figure skating, alpine skiing, ski jumping, bobsleigh, snowboarding, and many others. Numerous well-known athletes are competing this year, such as Shaun White for men’s halfpipe skiing, but there are also numerous younger athletes that may be taking the gold soon, such as Nathan Chen for men´s figure skating.

As of Feb. 16, Norway leads with 19 medals– six gold, eight silver, and five bronze– while The United States follows with 8 medals in fifth place– five gold, one silver, and two bronze. Germany leds in the gold medal count– nine medals– but follows behind Norway in second place with 15 medals total. Of the five gold medalists representing the USA is 31-year-old Shaun White, who won gold on Feb. 13 in the men’s halfpipe with a score of 97.7. This new gold medal addition makes White a three-time Olympic gold medalist. Another gold medalist winner is 17-year-old Chloe Kim, who won the women’s halfpipe with a score of 93.75.

Another event to watch for is the women’s bobsleigh on Feb. 21, which includes two-time Olympic medalist Elena Myers Taylor. Also, for the first time Nigeria has a bobsled team representing them– three Nigerian natives from  Houston decided to represent their home country.

Fatimah Dixon, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Fatimah Dixon, and I am currently a senior at Randall High School. This is my first year of newspaper, so I am excited to start. The reason I even joined is because I love writing, and it may be something I want to pursue after high school. One of my favorite...