Choir students try out for All-region

Kaitlyn Anders, Contributing Writer

On Nov. 3, choir students will compete for all-region choir in the west building.

The students who wish to audition will be judged by a panel of judges who will rank their musical part. They are required to sing songs in foreign languages such as German or Latin and then sight read along with it.  The highest ranking students will go to the region auditions and later participate in a two-day clinic with a concert at the end. Sophomore Erica Cote is a soprano 1 in Chorale, the varsity choir. She has already tried out for all-district and plans to try out for all-region.

“(All-district) was stressful at first, but I got over that quickly because my adrenaline kicked in,” Cote said. “It turned out to be fun. I was honestly shocked, but it made me really happy to have achieved my goal.”

After finding out she made it to all-region, Cote said she practiced as much as she could.

“I studied as soon as I found out I made it,” Cote said. “I was so happy to get back into the music. I take at least 30 minutes to practice my music every day, and I come to our morning sectionals every other day.”

Another student that is trying out is junior Robert Urton. Urton is a member of Bravo, the show choir, and Chorale. He too, said all-district was hard.

“It was stressful and nerve wracking,” Urton said. “Since this was my first time doing it, I was really excited to make all-district.”

Just like Cote, Urton said he practiced as much as he could for tryouts. He will be singing bass for the TMEA all-state process. To prepare, he has been practicing since mid-summer and the beginning of the year.

“I spent around 10 to 20 minutes a night practicing,” Urton said.  “I (also) go to an hour of voice of lessons a week and then I spend quite a bit of time practicing at school.”

Despite feeling uneasy, Urton said he feels prepared for tryouts.

“I feel confident, but the repertoire is longer and quite a bit harder,” Urton said. “Plus there is sight reading so all of that combined makes me feel a little nervous.”