Undefeated Raiders prepare for Canyon

Quarterback Collin Bowen scrambles for a touchdown against Lubbock High

Entering this season, head coach Bryan Wood’s career win total sat at 96.  Now, four games in, that total has reached 100.  With the Raiders undefeated one game into district play, the vibe around Raiders fieldhouse suggests great things lie ahead for this team.

The Raiders opened the season on the road against Borger, and came away with a 35-7 win in which junior quarterback Collin Bowen proved himself as a legitimate offensive force.  The team went on to roll over Lubbock High 31-6 and then disposed of Pampa in a 63-21 blowout.  The 3-0 start put great pressure on the Raiders’ district 3-4A opener vs. Caprock – which was also 3-0.  In a thrilling contest that came down to the wire, the Raiders pulled out a 28-23 win after recovering a fumble on their own 10 –yard line.  Now, the team is preparing to face district rival Canyon in an effort to stay atop the 3-4A standings.

“What we went through in the offseason showed against Caprock,” linebacker JD Allen said.  “This offseason we would be physically drained in the weight room but knew there was still one more lift we had to do full speed, and that built a lot of mental toughness.  It showed in that game because we had been battling the whole time but kept fighting and ended up forcing a fumble to win the game.”

One of the biggest factors contributing the Raiders hot start is a dynamic offensive attack.  At quarterback, Bowen has become a bonafide dual-threat, rushing for six scores and passing for seven.  Along with versatility from the running back spot and an experienced offensive line, there is a great amount of athletism in the receiving corps.  Trey Ingram and Tristen Woods were part of a state-qualifying 1600 relay team, and Logan Brittain won state in high jump.

“We are strong at every position on offense,” Allen said.  “We can attack a defense with any play and that makes us very hard to stop.”

Also, the Raiders have shown a relentless attack on defense led by Allen, the defending 3-4A defensive MVP.  Through four games, the Raiders are allowing an average of just over 14 points per game.  This comes despite graduating key players such as Kody Brinlee, Bret Scheve and Aaron Whited last season.

“We had a lot of spots to fill on defense,” safety Austin Castillo said.  “But we’ve still had at least one interception every game and guys like Jordan Davis have made a big difference on the d-line.”

Still, Allen said the team’s biggest strengths are intangibles such as team unity and work ethic.

“We have great chemistry and are always pushing each other,” Allen said.  “And we go hard.  On defense, it seems like we have nine to ten Randall helmets attacking the ball on every play.  This allows us to perform on both sides of the ball so we can just go out and play football.”

Friday night the Raiders will face off with CISD rival Canyon – which the Raiders have beaten twice since the rivalry was renewed three years ago.  The Eagles are 2-2 this season, coming off a loss to 1-3 Palo Duro.  Castillo said the team is ready for this game.

“We have a great shot to get another win,” Castillo said.  “From watching film we can tell they don’t play with a lot of energy.  That gives us an advantage because we are a very energetic team looking to hit them on every play.”

Still, Allen said it is important to treat Canyon just like any other game.

“We have to pretend we are 0-0 and go after Canyon like anyone else,” Allen said.  “This is a competitive district and every game is a challenge. Anyone can beat anyone, so we have to be focused.”