4th quarter comeback lifts Raiders to victory

The Randall Raiders were able to pull off their first victory of the season with a 37-36 win over the Palo Duro Dons.
Quarterback Hunter Alford led the Raiders in an epic fourth quarter comeback, scoring 16 points in the final five minutes. Alford finished the game with a season-high 251 passing yards for three touchdowns. Wide receiver Bret Scheve was also instrumental in the win, reeling in nine receptions for 129 yards in his first game back from injury. The win marked the first victory for head coach Bryan Wood since coming to Randall.
“It felt great to get that first win,” Wood said. “It helps everyone’s attitude and makes it easier to come to work.”
The Raiders got off to a hot start when wide receiver Tre’ Norton caught a 59-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Hunter Alford. The Dons then took control after scoring on two running touchdowns in the second quarter.
“After half-time we just wanted to make sure we could stop Palo Duro’s running attack and finish the game strong,” offensive lineman David Roulston said.
Randall trailed by seven points going into the fourth quarter. Running back Gage Moore ran in a four yard touchdown, but the Raider defense then allowed two touchdowns, leaving the score at 36-21.
“We hadn’t played well up to that point,” Wood said. “We just needed a good drive to get us going because things were looking pretty gloomy trailing by 15.”
Alford led the Raiders downfield for a score on a touchdown pass to Scheve. Aaron Whited then recovered an onside kick giving the Raiders the ball and one last chance at winning the game.
“We knew we needed to get in the end zone somehow,” Wood said. “We were planning on going for [the two point conversion] because we had the momentum to get the win at that point.”
In the ensuing drive, the Raiders faced fourth down on the Dons’ 30-yard line. Facing pressure from all sides, Alford pulled off an Eli Manning-like play, rolling left, ducking a tackle, breaking another, and then heaving up a pass while being dragged down. Norton snagged the pass inside the red zone and set up for a touchdown pass to Scheve, leaving the Raiders trailing by one point.
“When the play was taking place, I thought it was over, but [Alford] was able to stay with it and stepped up to make the play of the game,” Roulston said.
Wood elected to go for the two-point conversion, which Alford ran in to win the game as the Raiders dog piled at midfield celebrating their first victory.
“We have persevered through some hard times this season, so that just makes this win that much sweeter,” Wood said.