Varsity player settles in role on volleyball squad

The first time Libby Strickland, then a freshman, stepped onto the court as a member of the varsity volleyball team, with the fluorescent lights beaming down upon her, she was shaking.  “I remember being really nervous,” Strickland said.  “My heart was jumping out of my chest.”  Sporting a new number 2 jersey, she waved to the crowd as her name was announced over the loud speaker.

Strickland, who started out playing Kids Inc. volleyball and worked her way up by playing for a club, has been on the Lady Raider varsity volleyball team ever since, playing the position of outside hitter.  While she doesn’t get quite as nervous now, Strickland said that she still shakes before a big game.

“Every game after that I got less and less nervous,” Strickland said.  “But it still gets to me that so many people are watching.”

Still, the adrenaline of the game is actually a high point, something that Strickland said she enjoys.

“I like intense games that get everybody pumped up.” Strickland said.

Strickland said that the team likes to get in the mood for the game by playing music as they get ready.

“In the locker room we put on music to get us excited,” Strickland said.  “Mainly rock and fast-beat songs.”

While the intensity of the game combined with lifelong friendships and team bonding are fun for her, Strickland said that she’s learned to apply things from volleyball to other areas of her life.

“Volleyball has really taught me discipline and responsibility,” Strickland said.

The Raider volleyball team, which ranks second in the state, has only lost one game this season to Amarillo High.  For Strickland, this is a major reason to play volleyball for Randall.

“We have a really good team,” Strickland said.  “So [Randall] actually has a chance at winning state.” 

Strickland said that this season had some of the best volleyball memories for her, including winning against their biggest rival, Hereford, 25-9.

“It was a big deal whenever we won district, too,” Strickland said.  “Randall hasn’t won in a really long time.”

The volleyball team practices every day during and after school, plus Saturdays if they don’t have a game.  Strickland said that sometimes it’s hard for her to remember why she devotes so much time to one activity.

“In the middle of the season you get tired of doing the same thing every day,” Strickland said.  “But you know it’s worth it.”