Volleyball team wins state championship

Volleyball team wins state championship

The volleyball team beat Brenham High School Saturday securing their 42nd consecutive win and the 4A state title.
This is the first state championship for Raider volleyball in school history. The Raiders got off to a strong start earning a quick four points. Brenham rallied back, but could not hold down the 41 and 1 Raiders. The Raiders secured the state title after playing only three matches: 26-24, 25-23 and 25-11.
Coach Jason Culpepper said that the team’s goal was to go to state from day one.
“Just like every other high school coach, I wanted this for the team,” Culpepper said. “It’s awesome.”
Accoring the Culpepper, the sense of unity in the team this season was particularly vital in winning the state title.
“The team’s chemistry this year was just special,” Culpepper said. “They all really wanted it, so they all really worked hard to get it.”
The team returned from San Marcos at 7:30 p.m. last night to a screaming Raider crowd. Players exited the bus, holding up the first of hopefully many state volleyball trophies.