State champion wrestler aims for new heights

He laces his shoes, heart pounding.  As he steps onto the mat, sweat trickles down the side of his face.  The sound of the crowd fades when he locks eyes with his opponent.  Adrenaline rushes through his veins and they shake hands, wishing each other luck.  He jumps up and down to stay loose, listening as his coach gives him last minute tips.  He crouches down, ready to go.  This is it.  All the hard work comes down to this.  His muscles tense, and then the whistle blows.

Senior Jace Bennett is no stranger to this world.  At age 18, he has been wrestling for 11 years. 

“I love wrestling because it teaches discipline and self strength,” Bennett said.  “It shows you to never give up, and it’s fun to win.”

As a varsity wrestler, Bennett practices five days a week for six hours a day.  His morning starts early, with a workout before school at Tascosa.  He also practices during his lunch period.  After school the team stays and wrestles until about six, and then Jace goes on to practice at a club until nine.

“To be a good wrestler it takes lots of practice,” Bennett said.  “You have to have strong determination and teachability.”

A three-time All American, district champ, and two-time regional champ, Bennett finished the season last year with first in state in the 160 pound weight class.

“I just about wanted to cry because all the hard work paid off,” Bennett said.  “I accomplished my goal and was so excited.”

Bennett was one of four varsity wrestlers to win state last year.  Together the team set a new state record with the most gold medals to a team.  Wrestling Coach David Quirino said that 11 of 15 starters are back this year.  The team has set records at the district, regional and state level and plans to do the same thing again this season.

“It’s going to be tough,” Quirino said.  “The defending champs are back, and have only gotten stronger.  But we got stronger too.”

As a varsity veteran, Bennett said he loves being the leader of something so successful.  The team wants to set state, not just local records.

“You can expect lots of wins this year,” Bennett said.  “I want our team to win State Duals.”

Bennett also has a personal goal this season to be an undefeated state champion, and then go on to be national champion.  After high school he plans to wrestle at Cornell in New York, where he was offered a $400,000 scholarship.  He will major in communications, and then get his law degree.  After graduating he said he wants to go on to the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC).

“I want to fight in the UFC because it’s fun,” Bennett said.  “They pay the most, and you fight the best.”

Quirino said that Bennett will flourish in college.  He said he has the opportunity to be Randall’s first Division 1 All-American and Division 1 National Champion.

“Jace is extremely disciplined,” Quirino said.  “He takes care of his body and training regiment.  He’s dedicated and cross trains with ju-jitsu.  He also takes care of his academics.  You can’t go to Cornell if you don’t.”

Bennett said his biggest supporters are his parents.  They’re always there to keep him going when he feels like quitting.

“They tell me to keep wrestling if I want to accomplish my goals,” Bennett said.  “And I did—I got a scholarship.”