Holman’s 28 points not enough to hold off Canyon

Despite an 11-point halftime lead, the Randall Raiders basketball team suffered their eighth loss of the season Friday night to the Canyon Eagles.
The Raiders got off to a red hot start in the first quarter, led by sophomore Ridrell Holman’s four three-pointers. Early in the second quarter the Raiders continued to gain momentum, leading by as many as 16 points before the Eagles began to comeback. Canyon’s Will Tolliver and Brandon Kimsey led the Eagles second half rally, although the Raiders still held a three-point lead going into the fourth quarter. Braden Woods’ four turnovers and the team’s poor shooting allowed the Eagles to take the lead in the fourth quarter, and the Raiders were never able to recover, losing 61-52.
Holman was the leading scorer with 28 points. Aaron Yell added ten points from the free throw line, and senior Tanner Lakey also contributed with nine points. Tolliver was Canyon’s leading scorer with 19 points while Kimsey followed close behind with 18 points.
The loss drops the Raiders to 11-8 overall and 2-1 in district play. The Raiders will look to rebound from the loss this Friday against another tough district team, the Palo Duro Dons.