Senior spends final year playing hockey in El Paso

Taylor+Zion
Taylor Zion
Taylor Zion

This time last year, Taylor Zion lived the life of a normal high school student.  Now, his day consists of waking up at 4:30 a.m., practicing from 6:00 to 7:30, going to school for four hours and then capping it all off with another hour-long workout.  For Zion, this grueling schedule is all part of the sacrifice required to live the dream.

Zion, a senior, attended Randall for three years before making the decision to spend his final year in high school playing for the El Paso Rhinos Hockey Club.  While youth hockey may not be a big deal in Amarillo, El Paso is well-known in the hockey community for its programs that give players the opportunity to play at both the college and professional level.   Zion made the decision in August to move to El Paso in order to take advantage of the chance to improve his game and gain exposure to college scouts.

“I wanted to go to El Paso because it has the best opportunities for hockey,” Zion said.  “I am in a program with great coaches and trainers and top of the line training facilities.”

The Rhinos play in the Midget Major AAA division and play one or two tournaments per month.  The team just placed second in its first tournament of the 2011 fall schedule.  Zion said the amount of work in practice and game experience gives him a great chance to take his talents to the next level.

“I’ve already progressed as a player,” Zion said.  “We average over an hour of practice and an hour of training a day, so it’s a lot of work, but I know it will make me better in the long run.”

Although he has a physically demanding schedule, Zion said the biggest challenge for him has been adjusting to everyday life.  He is currently living with a host family and said leaving friends and family in Amarillo has been the hardest part of moving the El Paso.

“My daily routine was overwhelming at first, but I adjusted,” Zion said.  “But the hardest part was leaving friends and family.  I call my parents every day, and I’m still getting used to living with my host family.”

Still, Zion said he is glad he made the decision to dedicate his life to hockey.

“I’ve played since I was two years old,” Zion said.  “I love the sport because of the fast pace.  It never slows down, and every shift is different.  It’s something I always look forward to.  It wasn’t really until a few years ago I realized I was good and hockey could take me to college.”

Beyond hockey skills, Zion said he has already learned a lot about life because of the move.

“I’ve learned self-discipline in a big way,” Zion said.  “I think this whole experience will benefit me in life.”

Zion said he plans to remain in El Paso until April and then come back to Randall to finish out his senior year. 

“I wanted to graduate with my senior class,” Zion said.  “I’ll play in a NHL pre-draft tournament in May, but still be able to make it back to graduate as a Raider.”

Overall, Zion said the challenges of being away from home are worth it, both on and off the ice.

“My goal is to play college hockey and maybe even go pro,” Zion said.  “But I understand that there will eventually be life after hockey.  Right now I’m living a great experience, and even if hockey doesn’t work out in the long run, this is an awesome opportunity.”