No coming back: senior’s injury ends season early

It’s Friday night, and eager spectators have made their way to Dick Bivins Stadium just to observe another game in what has been named one of the most competitive districts in the state. First drive, first quarter, and there’s already a player down on the field. The band stops playing, the stands are silent, and No. 25 is helped to the sidelines by trainers after a long pause.

First-string senior Brandon Stafford was a strong leader the Raiders’ season. After his Sep. 22 injury to the knee leaving him with a torn ACL and meniscus, though, he has to do most of his leading outside the game. Stafford said he didn’t think much of his injury at first.

“I thought I only hyper extended [my knee],” Stafford said. “I was trying to walk off but the trainers [on the field] wouldn’t let me.”

Although the pain was hard to gage with the adrenaline in his system, Stafford said it was the worst he had ever felt. And even then, he said the real challenge was learning the true damage.

“It was bad. I couldn’t hold back the tears after I found out I wasn’t going to play again,” Stafford said. “The idea that I wasn’t going to be able to do what I loved with my friends—basically brothers—got to me the most.”

Stafford’s knee wasn’t the only thing that was injured as the team and coaches had to pick up the pieces in the week leading up to the game against district rivals Canyon Eagles.

“They’ve had to change our entire defense because of my injury,”Stafford said.

Stafford said his attendance at Raider football practice is required, but he wants to be there to help support the team.

“I’m still a part of the team just as much as anyone else is,” Stafford said. “I try to be the best leader I can be from the sidelines.”

He said he tries to be a high-impact player and have an impact on his team.

“I keep encouraging to the best of my ability,” Stafford said. “I try to coach the people in my position.”

Stafford has played football since the third grade. It was not until this year of high school, however, that he was put in defense.

“I was running back, but the coaches threw me in a defense spot,” Stafford said. “I found my niche.”

“I’m more of an aggressive person,” Stafford said. “Wrestling helped me a lot with defense because it is an aggressive sport.”

While he is an integral part of the football team, Stafford has a long history with wrestling as well, with a room full of medals and trophies to prove it. He started wrestling with the River Road Wrestling Club when he was in the 1st grade and went on to win the Youth State Wrestling Tournament by the time he was in the 6th grade. Randall is famed for its wrestling prestige and the many state champions it has produced. Stafford won the district title for wrestling last year.

“I was probably going to be a major contributor to the wrestling team,” Stafford said. “I just hope whoever takes my spot steps up.”

Stafford, who wants to go to college to be an architect, said he will likely focus on school now that he can no longer compete in sports. He said he does not have any regrets about the position his injuries have put him in.

“There’s nothing left to do about it, I’ve just got to keep moving through life,” Stafford said. “This is all part of God’s plan.”