UIL to restrict two-a-day practices

Beginning in 2012, two-a-day practices for football players will change due to new Texas UIL rules.

In order to keep athletes from facing heat-related injuries, UIL has passed a new rule restricting the amount of time they can work out during two-a-day practices. Teams will not be allowed to hold two-a-day practices on consecutive days any longer. However, “walk-through” practices may be held as long as any contact or conditioning is not included. Also, current rules only require at least an hour rest in between the practices. Now, at least a two hour break will be required before practice may begin again. Junior Charleston Woods said he is disappointed in the new rule.

“I suppose the people who made this rule are the same ones that banned red rover, tag and teachers using red ink, all because someone might get hurt,” Woods said. “With the new rule we will lose preparation time and when the season rolls around we will be wishing we were in [better] shape.”

Woods said he thinks the rule is a bad idea and will make football less challenging. Junior Tyler Junell said he appreciates the rule to an extent, but is worried about how it will affect the team as a whole.            

“From the side of me that hates conditioning, it sounds great,” Junell said. “But from the side of me that wants to be successful, it seems as though it will slow progression of [the team’s] skills.”

Junell said the team will just have to work extra hard in their limited amount of practices in order to be as successful during the season. However, he said he believes a day of rest in between will cause the athletes to be able to perform better at each practice.

“The best part will be the day off from contact and conditioning,” Junell said. “It will be better for our bodies.”

Junior Kyle Carpenter said he will enjoy having more days to rest. However, he said he hopes it will not affect the team’s talent level.

“[The outcome] could hurt everyone because we won’t be as well prepared and won’t have as much time to work together,” Carpenter said. “But from the stand point of a player it’s nice to have [a couple] of days off.”