Girls wrestling team to compete for varsity spots

For the first time in school history, the newly developed girls wrestling team will compete next week against each other for varsity positions. The girls will compete during their 7:30 a.m. workout time Oct. 16-17. The varsity lineup should be determined by Thursday.

The girls team began practice the first day of school and will compete in their first tournament Nov. 12. To prepare, the girls team has been weight training, working on visualization, drills and live wrestling. The team, which consists of 16 girls, practices six days per week in the mornings and after school.

Girls wrestling coach Guillermo Sanchez said he is excited to see what the upcoming season will bring. With his experience, the team has high hopes for this year.

“I’ve coached wrestling for years,” Sanchez said. “I have helped youth wrestling clubs and also have taught private lessons. Although I have only been at the high school level for only three years, I have somehow been involved with coaching the sport.”

Sanchez said jumped at the chance to coach at his alma mater, Randall High.

“I wanted to be part of a successful school and wrestling team,” Sanchez said. “(My goals for the season) are to squeeze the best out of our wrestlers.”