Band Nerds and proud of it

The term “band nerd” has been around for generations. People might picture them as the nerdy kids walking in unison down the hallway talking about Star Trek and Pokémon-or the frequent visitors in the library to pick up Manga books. But what in essence is a “band nerd”? Who are the masses of people in the football stands with shiny metal objects dancing to a drum beat every Friday night?

With over 100 students in band, it’s hard to know everyone that’s involved. It’s a common misconception that these kids are nerdy, overweight, and wear extremely long socks. But this isn’t necessarily true.

“Our life is somewhat obsessed with band,” freshman Hudson Roberson said. “(And) we have certain gifts that the average kid doesn’t have, but we are normal students too.”

Normal. Not the usual thing people think when they imagine band kids; furthermore, most people assume they only talk about band, Pokémon, and other nerdy stuff the like.

“Band kids are just different,” sophomore Brandelyn Baez said. “Today, being different is the ‘cool’ thing. I don’t understand why band doesn’t apply to that too.”

The band is also described as a “giant family” and “humongous party”. The students get to know everyone else in the group and they grow. And according to quite a few band kids the rest of us are “missing out”.

“We’re more like a family then a team,” Roberson said. “As a regular student you don’t have that opportunity. We are so united. It’s just a great bond.”

What does being a “band nerd” signify? For some it means “musicianship”, “loving what you are doing”, and “being a part of the pep for football games”. But to others it’s so much more than that. It’s a mentality; a “lifestyle”.

“Being in band means that you have such an obsession with music and rhythm, that even subconsciously you apply it to every part of your life,” senior Ali West said.