Fro-Yo, Old News Kept Sweet

Fro-Yo, Old News Kept Sweet

It was a hit in the 70s, in the 80s sales reached up to $25 million, and in the 90s frozen yogurt captured 10 percent of the dessert market.

In Amarillo, there are now five different frozen yogurt hang outs, Frazzleberry being the most popular. With 3 locations and being locally owned, it has captured the taste buds of families all across town. Frazzleberry has certified real dairy yogurt, fresh cut fruit and toppings, non fat, low fat and gluten free frozen yogurts. Also have in Amarillo, there is “El Tropico,” “Just Chillin,” “Orange Leaf,” and “Phat Spoons.”  All compete against each other, all good and a little different in their own way of course.

Frozen yogurt is not actually real yogurt that’s been frozen, so it’s not as healthy as many might think.  There’s a lot of added sugar, but it’s lower in fat than most ice creams. In order to use the name “yogurt” the law requires it has to have the live active cultures that yogurt has. When you eat yogurt you’re putting bacteria into your body. Don’t worry the bacteria is good. Strains of Lactobacillus and Streptococcus Thermopiles is what makes yogurt, yogurt. These are what turns the milk into yogurt, but only make up 1 percent of the ingredients.

The History behind it all:

Some say frozen yogurt started in Asia, they called it water ices. Then there was Marco Polo who brought it to Italy, which certainly caught everyone’s attention. Then, many years down the line European colonists brought the U.S. ice cream, which we later revolved with the rest of the world in making and eating frozen yogurt being the healthier choice, but not by much. So yes, frozen yogurt is healthy, but only better than other desserts. For those looking to stay on a healthy diet, nutritionists warn that frozen yogurt shouldn’t be eaten often.

Nutritious facts:

Frozen yogurt is known to be nutritious with protein, calcium, riboflavin and other necessary vitamins and minerals.  It contains less fat than ice cream but the major health benefit of frozen yogurt is that it goes beyond the contents of fat and sugar and stretches to its probiotic content. Ice cream has calcium which is one of the best things to put in your body because it never stops working. Calcium helps with blood pressure, reduces risks in certain cancers, and may help lower the chances of getting kidney stones. Ice cream will give you plenty but frozen yogurt not so much, because ice cream is based off of dairy cream and frozen yogurt is based off of yogurt.