Homecoming: a familiar event with unfamiliar history

The day we all wait for is finally drawing nigh. It’s a day full of excitement and fuzzy, shiny, loud appendages pinned on various student’s shirts and arms. Bears, bells, black and silver cover the hallways. A day that defines every high school and college experience and beyond: homecoming.

It all began in 1911 when University of Minnesota athletic director, Chester Brewer feared that a change in location to one of the football games would cause empty stands. So he challenged the university alumnus to return home for a celebration full of football, parades, parties and a rally. More than 9,000 fans returned home for the event, thus creating ‘homecoming.’ Other speculation is that Baylor University and University of Illinois held a ‘homecoming’ event around the same year though the University of Minnesota game is officially recorded as the first homecoming event. By the 1920’s, the idea of ‘homecoming’ spread throughout the nation and has been a fun day full of dances, football, bonfires, food and just good old fun.

The south specifically has added their own zest to their homecoming events with none other than mums. There’s usually not a person without one at a Raider homecoming game. The idea of the mum originates from the flower we all know as the chrysanthemum, also informally known as the ‘mum.’ This flower was virtually introduced to the south as a corsage for girlfriends and mothers at homecoming games. Today, a silk flower is put in place of a real one and they are often decorated with various bells, whistles, charms, and ribbon. It’s not merely a fashion statement for girls, but boys too, who often where garters on their arms. Now, there’s the history and meaning behind a movement that we will continue to relish the rest of our high school careers and beyond.

View Comments (1)