Students Joining Military

In the United States we honor our veterans of the armed forces and those killed in battle on November 11.

Veterans Day which was once known as Armistice Day up until the 1950’s, started out as a memorial for those who fought in World War I. The actual fighting between Germany and Allies stopped 7 months earlier on the eleventh hour, on the eleventh day of the eleventh month, November 11. After World War II it was memorialized as paying tribute to all service members in our nation. Here at Randall we have a handful of students who know for a fact they want to go into the military to help serve our country.  These students also have some background of their families in the Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard and Air force.

Sophomore Riley King’s step dad and grandfather were both in the military and he wants to continue this by going into the armed forces as a U.S. Army Ranger Sniper.

“We celebrate Veterans Day by having some family together” King said. “I think our military is strong and very helpful to those who go in it and that it can change a person.”

Sophomore Austin Chontos has a grandfather that is also a veteran and also wants to join in the military after high school.

“I would want to be a Marine,” Chontos said. “There’s more action and I want to support my country, we always have a family barbeque to celebrate [Veterans Day] for my grandpa.”

According to a Military Hub article, the Navy and Air Force have increased their recruiting numbers, while the Army, Marine Corps and Coast Guard have decreased their limit for activated reserve recruits.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/veteransday1.html