Easy gifts for Christmas

If you still have no idea what to get the people you care about, you’ve got 14 days until Christmas as of Friday. But what if you don’t want to break your piggy bank? Etsy.com and pinterest.com have great ideas for do-it-yourself projects that people will actually use—and even buying online won’t break the bank. Here are a few ideas:

Jewelry

Maybe it’s a little cliché, but it’s a girl’s best friend. Jewelry is unique, she’ll actually use it, and it doesn’t even have to be expensive! A lot of jewelry can be made with pliable wire and precision pliers. Joann Fabrics and Crafts stores are offering discounted jewelry making supplies. Beadage.net has many simple yet complicated-looking tutorials to help you out. Tutorials are ranked by difficulty, and there are lots to choose from.

Knit socks

Unless you’ve just have the skills of a prodigy at knitting, chances are learning now would be a bit complicated, but never fear, Solmate (socklady.com) makes socks in a mismatched set of three—perfect for keeping warm while being a little quirky. For sock fanatics, the website also has a “Sock of the Month Club” which will send you a new pair of socks every month.

Bake!

The holidays bring a host of excuses to make Christmas-exclusive treats. Why not make enough to share? Peppermint bark is an easy gift. Throw it in holiday-themed wrapping and it makes the perfect gift for friends and family alike.

Paula Deen’s recipe has raving reviews and there are lots of variations, such as making a layer of dark chocolate first to make the dessert more interesting.

Ingredients

• Crushed candy canes, to yield 1 cup
  • 2 pounds white chocolate
  • Peppermint flavorings, optional

Directions

Place candy canes in a plastic bag and hammer into 1/4-inch chunks or smaller. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Combine candy cane chunks with chocolate (add peppermint flavoring at this point if desired.) Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet layered with parchment or waxed paper and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from cookie sheet and break into pieces (like peanut brittle.)

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/peppermint-bark-recipe/index.html