One Act Play

“You still plan to make a speech, at a posh prep school, with the primary right down the road, at a time when people who are HIV positive can no longer get into the country, about a close friend who died of AIDS?” the politician’s assistant challenges. The politician, Sam, faces a challenge that could either make or break his career. All that is standing in the way is his decision of whether he should or should not stand up and make a speech about his dear, departed friend from his days as a prep school attendee.

This year’s One Act Play will be competing with “The Old Boy,” a first in the history of Texas UIL One Act Play. The cast, consisting of 6 people, will begin competition with Zone on March 22.

“The overall message of ‘The Old Boy’ focuses mainly on the character’s ability to judge what is right; even it isn’t what society will accept,” said junior Matt Allen. “The journey of the play is about Sam’s ability to make the right decision, regardless of how it will help or ruin his political campaign.”

Both actors agreed that the upcoming competition will be difficult. Allen said he that plans to watch several movies and research how homosexuals were treated during the time period.

“It’s going to take a lot of work,” Carver said. “I have to switch back and forth from a 40 year old politician to a high school student, so I will have to be able to show the age differences and learn the mannerisms of a politician. [The hardest part will be] getting the emotion and concept across in 40 minutes. Time is our enemy.”

For Allen, a participant in one act the last 2 years, this will be his first year to be onstage instead of working as a part of the backstage crew.

“I’m super stoked to be onstage,” Allen said. “The [backstage and onstage] goals are about the same. The big difference is, backstage, the goal is to send your energy to the actors and for them to receive it and kick butt.”

Carver said that he believes that audience members will truly be able to connect with this story.

“This year I think people can relate to how people judged Perry and disapproved of beliefs or feelings he had,” Carver said. “People can compare similar feelings to their own lives.”

Crew:

Lights – Clay LeGrand

Sound – Emily Key

Specials _ Haley Wilson

Specials – Becca Latimer

Stage Manager – Catlin Shaffer

Cast:

Dexter – Michael Hoy

Bud – Brandon Dawson

Sam – Tucker carver

Harriet – Victoria Humphrey

Perry – Matt Allen

Allison – Maddy Cunningham

Alternates:

Stage Manager – Becca Latimer

Costume and Props – Kenned Ansley

Dexter – Tate Detten

Bud – Damian Horn

Sam – Jacob Tobias

Harriet – Kaila Bellinghausen

Perry – Ian Abbott

Allison – Allie Bridenbaugh