Son’s military deployment impacts teacher

Anticipation, longing, and a hope for safety are all things that Geography teacher Jan Weston feels while her son Ben Weston is overseas serving in the U.S. Army.

Ben graduated from Canyon High School in 2002 and enlisted in August of 2003. His longest deployment up to this point was to Iraq from August 2005 until December 2006. Ben is currently home on a two week leave.

Ben has been serving at a combat operational in Northeastern Afghanistan. The post is in Logar Province at 7,000 plus feet in the mountains.

“The conditions are harsh and cold; quite Spartan,” Weston said. “Believe me when I say Spartan, we mean no frills.”

When Ben is being deployed and serving away from home, Weston said there are many people who constantly pray for his safety and the safety of other soldiers. Weston said she is a part of a prayer group that that meets every Monday evening. Ben has named the prayer group “The God Squad”.

“He keeps me caught up on my prayer life,” Weston said. “His sacrifice and the sacrifice of others like him makes me thankful for so many things that I otherwise wouldn’t even consider.”

When Ben was deployed he was leaving more than just the safety of his home, a warm bed, and a hot shower. He also left his wife Tessa and his (then) six week old baby when he was deployed from Ft. Bliss. When Ben returns this coming July, Tessa and Baby Audrey will be moving to Ft. Bliss, El Paso to be with him.

“His wife is a real trooper,” Weston said. “She is an awesome Army wife. She holds down the fort while Ben is away. I know this is all very difficult on her too.”

Weston said soldiers sent to battle return with a different mindset. One of the most difficult things for a returning service member to handle is PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This is caused by witnessing men and women serving alongside you be killed. Another injury that many serving may suffer from is TBI Traumatic brain injuries, from being around so many explosions.

“In Ben’s first deployment to Afghanistan, they lost so many that Robert Gates, Secretary of Defense, made a personal visit to their operating base and shook their hands,” Weston said. “Injuries such as PTSD and TBI must be treated compassionately.”

While being apart from a loved one for such long periods of time, it is important Weston said but sometimes difficult to keep in contact. Weston and Tessa keep in contact with Ben through Skype, talking on the phone, and emails.

“Ben and Tessa Skype, that helps to keep them close,” Weston said. “He gets to see Audrey, even if he can’t hold her.”

Weston said the most important thing is that families stay in contact as much as possible with their soldier. Emails are a fast way to keep in contact, but a box of goodies is always a nice surprise to give to your soldier.

“We send a box once a week with all kinds of goodies and necessities,” Weston said. “Troops must never feel abandoned; not by family members nor by their country.”

Weston said the rules of engagement are increasing the difficulty for soldiers to protect themselves and their platoon.

“The upshot from this Army mom is: Go into war to win it, or don’t go in at all,” Weston said. “There isn’t a politically correct way to win a war.”

Weston said many things have impacted her through this experience, one of which is watching her son grow up to be the soldier he is today. She said she has also been impacted by the sacrifices that many great men and women have made to keep freedoms and safety.

“The biggest impact on my personal life is attending the funeral of one of Ben’s buddies knowing that Ben was present when his brother-in-arms was killed,” Weston said. “Freedom isn’t free. It has been paid for through the sacrifice of our military. May God bless our troops, and may God always bless America.”