6 ways to transform your house

Transforming a house to be more eco-friendly and energy efficient is not only beneficial to our ecosystem, but can also help families to save money on energy and water bills during all seasons of the year.

Plant shade trees and shrubs around the outside of the house- In the summer, this can help block radiation that would warm the house. In the winter, bare branches allow this heat to come through. This can help reduce the need to run air conditioners and heaters.

Make your own compost- Keep a kitchen bucket specifically for food scraps, such as fruit peels, egg shells, etc. Any unused or unwanted food you find yourself throwing away could easily go to use and become rich compost making the dirt and soil surrounding your house a good place for gardening. As the bucket becomes full, add it to a compost pile in the back or front yard. Be sure to till the soil in order to allow the nutrients to reach all aspects of the dirt.

Design a recycling system- An old trash can or any other empty container can make a perfect place to dispose of plastic, aluminum or other recyclable papers. Instead of throwing these useful items away, make a plan to empty your collection into local recycling bins weekly.

Invest in a ceiling fan- Not only can this help reduce the amount of air conditioner needed in the summer time, but it can also help keep warm in the winter. As hot air rises, a ceiling fan can help to circulate this warm air, therefore reducing the need to run the heater and saving money.

Decorate with curtain panels- Another way to save money on heating and air bills is to hang curtains in front of drafty windows. In the summer, closing the curtains in the morning and opening them in the evening can block radiation from entering and heating up rooms. In the winter, doing the opposite will help trap warmth inside.

Unplug when possible- Turning off lights isn’t the only way to save energy while you’re away from home or out of the room. Unplugging as many things as possible when they aren’t in use can also help save money and energy.