Capturing the moments that count

When sophomore Cat Pawlowski wants a project done right or just wants to have fun she shoots people with her camera. 

Pawlowski makes videos not only as a past time but to gain further experience and education.  
“I started making videos in eighth grade,” Pawlowski said. “My English teacher wanted me to make videos for a project and I found out how fun it was and that I was good at it.”
Learning through self taught methods, she has developed the skills that got KFTB and English teacher, Jeannie Blankenship’s attention. Pawlowski entered the Deltapine Cotton Video Contest for FFA.     Blankenship was the one who encouraged her to enter the competition.
“Mrs. Blankenship gave me the poster and I was really excited,” Pawlowski said. “The video took about three months.  I had to use their music and fill out their paperwork, and the video had to be 80-85 seconds.”
Abiding by these regulations, Pawlowski made it to the finals winning $2500 for the school’s FFA program.  
“I was very surprised,” Pawlowski said. “I had to deal with so many problems and I was afraid I wouldn’t make it.”
Pawlowski and the other finalist, a student from Lubbock, videos were placed on the Delatpine website where site visitors voted on which video they liked best.  After a period of time, the video with the most votes was chosen to be aired on television.  Pawlowski’s video finished in second place with 209 votes behind Lubbock Cooper who received 566.  Although Pawlowski’s video will not be aired on television, she said she is happy to win money for the FFA. 

“The way the votes are going, the other finalist is going to win but I’d be insanely happy if I won,” Pawlowski said.
If Pawlowski’s video makes it on TV this wouldn’t be her first.  She has been involved in other video competitions, like the FilmFest competition.  In this competition, her video about alcoholism was put on television due to its popularity.
“The Alcoholism video is my favorite and it was the hardest video I’ve ever made,” Pawlowski said. “It turned out amazing because I made my own sound effects for it.  That one only took about four hours to film since I was working with actual actors, but the editing took forever.”
According to Pawlowski, a two minute film takes about 10 hours to film and about 24 hours to edit.  
“Although it takes a lot of time making videos is fun,” Pawlowski said. “I like doing it and figuring out how to do things with my limited funds. I think I’m obsessed. I always have my camera with me.”
Pawlowski has a YouTube channel under the name XxcatscratchxX where she posts her videos and will continue to post future videos.
“I’m always working on something,” Pawlowski said.  “My main goal in all this is to get a job at Pixar.  I really love making quirky videos for kids, so I think it’s a good fit for me.”