Growing up amid famous Panhandle attraction

The yellow and blue decorated building is bright under the hot Amarillo sun, and the oversized cow is stationed outside the door as usual. The old fashioned, countrified limo mounted with cattle horns and a lit up sign pulls up full of passengers excited to see one of the most touristic and popular places in the Texas Panhandle. In pour the passengers trampling across the wooden floor into the restaurant, where they are overwhelmed with a stuffed giant bear, an oversized rocking chair, a gift shop full of Texan souvenirs and a shooting gallery for the kiddos. To the right they are greeted by a big Texas smile from a hostess ready to seat the visitors in the large, two story dining room. After being seated and informed about some of the most mouth-watering platters at the restaurant, a waiter approaches dressed head to toe in nothing but his finest cowboy gear. This is only another day in the office for brothers Tyler and Patrick Lee.

The Big Texan has been owned within the Lee family for 53 years. Ownership was passed down from a deceased grandfather and the family began to run the restaurant. Senior Tyler Lee and sophomore Patrick Lee have worked at the restaurant their entire lives in almost every position as needed. The Lee’s plan to keep the famous attraction in the family for generations to come.

“Owning The Big Texan has a lot of benefits,” Patrick said. “It’s really cool.”

Patrick and Tyler are both very active at the restaurant. Tyler said he is responsible for working and taking care of a lot of things.

“Because it’s been in the family for [so long] I plan on taking ownership when I am older,” Tyler said. “My plans are to make it bigger and better.”

Tyler said his first plan of action is to change the bar and the kitchen up to make it more accessible and smoother run.   

“My favorite job is being an appetizer runner or anything else in the kitchen,” Tyler said. “That’s what I’m the best at.”                                                                                                                                                                                

Not only does Tyler enjoy working with his family, but he said there are many other benefits accompanied with working at the restaurant.

“Some benefits are getting free food,” Tyler said. “Meeting all the famous people that eat there is [interesting] too.”

Tyler said meeting the “Man vs. Food” star, Adam Richman, was one of his fondest memories. Another beneficial experience, he said, has been working the Big Boo haunted house when it was hosted there.   

“My favorite thing about the Big Texan is meeting all the [people] that come there,” Tyler said. “I’ve [also] met Tony Hawk and Rob and Big.”

Although he is not sure, Tyler said he will probably work at and be involved at The Big Texan his entire life. Tyler said owning the restaurant has had a positive influence on his life overall.

“It’s [reassuring] that I always have a job and I get to work with my family,” Tyler said. “The Big Texan is probably one of the most important things in [my] family.”