Jewelry becomes lasting legacy

Jewelry becomes lasting legacy

Since West Point first began the tradition in 1835, class rings have become a popular keepsake for graduating seniors in high school and college. Originally, rings would have one uniform design and each cadet would get the opportunity to choose their own stone; now there are an abundance of different designs and combinations to choose from.

While things have changed, the original design of the class ring is still popular among students. Class rings were based off ancient Egyptian rings, and according to Classringshop.com, a basic ring consists of a specific stone, a bezel with the school name, and a shank (the part of the ring that goes around the finger) that usually includes a name, year of graduation, or degree, a design of some sort, and an engraving on the inside. The classic rings traditionally come in some form of gold or silver. Shank designs vary from helmets for football to drama masks for theater and everything in between.

Over the years, class rings have become more than just a piece of jewelry. For the graduating class, rings are a symbol of success and a way to express personality. Over the past 177 years, the buying and wearing of class rings has become a lasting legacy unlikely to change.