Junior devotes time to uncommon sport

As her hands grip her leather reins, she looks in front of her. Yards ahead sit several jumping fences in a dirt arena. She reaches down and pets the animal below her, her best friend. Months and months of training and fun have led to this moment, however now is no time for fun. As her black boots push into the sides of the brown horse beneath her, they both depart together, moving as one. She leans forward while crossing the first jump at quick speed. She remains focused on the task in front of her, as messing up wouldn’t only threaten her chances of winning, but also her safety. After stopping at the end of the pattern junior Chaylee Ray nods at the judge at the completion of the world champion show hunter jumper contest.

Ray began riding horses when she was 4 years old, however, she traded cowboy boots and a western saddle for something a little more complicated. Ray began riding English and showing horses when she could walk. Ray shows in hunter jumping classes where her and her horse jump over jumps and receive a score from a judge. Since she has been competing, Ray has been deemed state 4-H champion hunter over fences horseman, won 14 trophy belt buckles and qualified for the world championship show three times. Not to mention, Ray has trained her horse almost all on her own.

“[I chose to ride English style] because English riders are stronger than Western [riders],” Ray said. “[English riding has taught me] how to stay calm in any situation and how to push through pain.”

Ray said her goals for her future in English riding include placing in the top 15 at the world championship show; however, she said she could not do it without the help of her grandma, grandpa and trainer.  Ray said she admits that while English riding is fun, she does face challenges daily.

“The hardest part about [English] riding is honestly the ground and temperamental horses,” Ray said. “[It is hard] when I know [my horse and I] can do the jumps but we are just not in sync with each other and [fail].”

Despite the challenges, Ray said she has experienced priceless memories throughout her experience.

“[My] happiest moment would be when I won the 2012 champion hunter over fences horseman,” Ray said. “[My horse and I] were totally in sync.”

Ray said English riding has many benefits that are achieved even without winning.

“The most fun part is the adrenaline you feel when you are jumping,” Ray said. “[English riding also] keeps me in shape better than western riders.”

Although proud of her accomplishments and experiences, Ray said the sport of English riding isn’t as common as she would prefer, and she would like to see more people become educated on the sport.

“My sport is uncommon for around here,” Ray said. “I wish more people would do it and have respect for it.”