America commemorates 9/11 anniversary

Americans commemorate 9/11 anniversary
Americans commemorate 9/11 anniversary

Flags at half mass, barbecues and visits to memorials and cemetaries were all on the agenda Sunday which marked the 10th anniversary of an American horror story called 9/11.

10 years after the impact of those two planes that killed thousands of Americans, the tragedy still remains vivid in the hearts of many. Events of commemoration and acts of service were just some of the ways US citizens chose to honor the lives that were lost. Many celebrities including Lady Gaga, Julianne Hough and Drake Bell chose to participate in dedicatory services and 9/11 TV programs aired around the country. Even President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, attended three different memorials.

In an interview, Obama told Americans that the best way to help honor the deaths in 9/11 would be to participate in service and bring back the unity our country had right after the attack. He suggested helping restore community homes, making care packages, or if you don’t have one yet go to www.service.org.

MTV is hosted an event called “I Will” with many well-known celebrities to help encourage citizens to remember 9/11 and to commemorate its anniversary by giving of yourself. MTV asked the question “what will you do to remember?”

Many regular citizens joined in the movement. Sites such as www.911serviceday.org offered the ability to post on their “tribute quilt” what you will do to remember. Answers like praying, running in 9/11’s heroes run and joining the volunteer fire department were some of the answers that decorated the site.  This site also offered visitors the chance to dedicate a post to someone who was lost on that day.

Students and faculty at Randall High replaced the typical black and silver day and wore red, white and blue clothing.

“I spent time with my family and we talked about (9/11),” freshman Shane Cristy said. “It was nice especially since I don’t remember much about it.”

Though this tragic story of loss is a black stain on our country’s history, some say it has had a positive effect bringing our country closer.

“Even though America was devastated 10 years ago, we are still a strong nation because of it,” freshman Camrye Caylor said.