The Future of the Medical Field

Aubra Platt (middle) poses for a picture at the national HOSA competition. 
Photo taken by Jennifer James.

Aubra Platt (middle) poses for a picture at the national HOSA competition. Photo taken by Jennifer James.

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

Scrubs, caps, masks, and competitive events; this is the basis of HOSA. HOSA stands for Health Occupations Students of America. This club gives students seeking a job in the medical field a chance to experience a taste of medicine. The organization allows students to improve valuable skills, and involve themselves into a club full of people who they share common interests with.

Randall High School has supported the HOSA club for many years now, but for Health Science teacher and HOSA sponsor, Jennifer James, this will be her third year teaching at the school. The club meets about every two weeks, and consists of over 50 members in this year alone. Not only is HOSA involved with volunteering, they are also involved with competition.

“The big part of HOSA is competing against students across Texas,” James said. “It’s an opportunity for them to learn skills they would not learn elsewhere.”

Each student has the choice of competing individually or with a partner. There are over 30 topics in the competition the students can choose from.

“The biggest benefit would be getting hands on experience,” James said. “HOSA also offers big time scholarships.”

In the previous years, Randall’s HOSA team has taken students to state, and even had one student make it to the national competition. Most HOSA competitions take place outside of the city limits, but this year that will change.

“This year we are hosting area, and we are combining with Canyon High School so it’s going to be a Canyon ISD hosted event,” James said. “I’m looking forward to that because we’ve never had it here since I’ve been a teacher.”

Most kids interested in HOSA have parents who work outside of the medical field. By joining the club, the students have a mentor they can look up to, and the chance to shadow positions of any field they find interesting.

“My favorite part about the club is seeing kids who maybe didn’t have the confidence at the beginning of year find their spot where they fit in,” James said. “They excel because the medical field is what they want to do.”

In a way, HOSA joins students together. All of the students in the club have a certain interest; medicine. Even if they’re friends or family doesn’t understand their passion for medicine, they have a club full of people who do understand.

“It’s like a nerd-fest, but if that’s what you’re into it’s the most fun nerd-fest,” James said. “It’s a good opportunity for these kids.”