Fall sports make playoff runs

Amy Neese, Adviser

As district play for fall sports comes to an end, several Randall teams are making playoff appearances:

Cross Country– Both the girls’ and boys’ cross country teams punched their ticket to state last Saturday at the regional meet in Lubbock. This makes the girls’ fifth straight regional title. The cross country teams will depart Nov. 2 for Round Rock, where they will compete for the state title Nov. 4. The girls’ team has won state the last three out of four years. This will mark the boys’ first state appearance since the team won the title in 1989.

Tennis– The tennis team is currently competing in Wichita Falls in the regional tournament. This comes after last week’s 10-6 win over Lubbock High in regional quarter finals. In the regional tournament, Randall defeated Aledo 11-8 Oct. 26, and rival Amarillo High defeated Wichita Falls Rider. Randall and Amarillo High will compete at 10 a.m. Oct. 27 to determine which team will advance to the state tournament. A state appearance would mark the first in school history for both Randall and Amarillo High’s tennis teams.

Volleyball- After tying with Amarillo High in district play, the volleyball district title came down to a coin flip. Randall won the flip, and will start the playoff season as the first seed. The volleyball team will start post-district play Oct. 31 where they will play Lubbock Monterey at Wayland Baptist University. Game time starts at 8 p.m. Tickets for adults cost $5, and students are $3.

Football- The football team still has three district games to play. The Raiders are focused on their Oct. 27 game against Amarillo High where a win would get them one step closer to securing a spot in post-district play. The top four teams from the district will advance to playoffs. “There are still a lot of question marks right now,” Coach Selman said. “With three district games left, there are still a lot of scenarios that could play out. We need to win our games, and we will also have to see what happens with teams like Hereford, Caprock and Palo Duro.”