New FLEX schedule to start in January

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

The fall semester at Randall has brought many changes upon the student body such as a new principal working at the school, construction bombarding the school, and a wave of new students. However, the spring semester is bound to bring another change; the FLEX schedule.

FLEX is a 25 minute block of time each day when students can choose what activity is best for them based on their academic or personal needs. Unlike activity period, students will not be required to stay in a single classroom and can roam freely around the building. Locations such as the gym, library, and cafeteria will be open to students while the parking lots are off limits. During FLEX time, class meetings and pep rallies will be held in addition to tutorials for students.

“Currently at Randall High school we offer zero minutes of guaranteed time that you get an opportunity to go get extra help from teachers,” principal Steve Singleton said. “We wanted to address that need.”

Students who are failing classes will be required to attend a closed tutorial during FLEX time, while students who are searching for additional help can be invited to a classroom to attend an open tutorial with a teacher three times a week. Students can find the location of their teachers on a masterlist that will be posted weekly.

“The benefits that we currently see is that we are going to move from zero minutes a day per year of possible tutorial time to 4,097 minutes per year,” Singleton said. “When we offer that time it’s going to increase the opportunity for us to do things like college and career readiness counseling or increase opportunities for students to take a break when they need a break. You have to choose wisely.”

Students who fail to appear to a closed tutorial or are caught sneaking off campus will face consequences such as ISS or Friday school. However, if a student is caught acting inappropriately during FLEX time will risk the chance of losing FLEX time.

“It’s going to be tough to understand what to do in the beginning,” Singleton said. “The first week back is going to be an orientation week. We’re going to meet with every single class and explain this in detail.”

The FLEX schedule will begin Jan. 8 with a late-start schedule, except classes will begin earlier at 8:40 a.m. Each class will be 48 minutes long with an additional two minutes added to second period for the pledges and moment of silence. Passing periods will remain seven minutes long, but lunch will occur at different times. First lunch will begin at 11:37 a.m. and end at 12:22 p.m. and second lunch will begin at 12:29 p.m. and end at 1:14 p.m. On regular days, school will begin at 8:15 a.m. with 48 minute classes as well. First lunch on regular days will begin at 11:27 a.m. and end at 12:10 p.m. and second lunch will begin at 12:22 p.m. and end at 1:05 p.m. School on both late-start and regular days will end at the same time at 3:50 p.m.

“A concern was moving too fast. That’s a legitimate concern for any body,” Singleton said. “The biggest thing any of us fear is the fear of the unknown. We’re working backwards through all of those issues.”

Students and teachers with concerns have met with Singleton. In addition, Singleton has visited multiple classrooms to meet with students and clarify misunderstandings of FLEX time. For more information, a video discussing FLEX time will be sent to all staff and students within the following weeks.

“Everyday, I’m going to tell 1700 students I expect them to take care of business,” Singleton said. “My biggest concerns is we are going to hit road bumps. It’s just like a pilot flying a plane. Every time I fly my plane, I know I’m going to hit some rough air somewhere. It’s all about how we communicate during that.”