Brue named National Merit Scholar semifinalist

Principal+Singleton+gives+Megan+Brue+the+news+that+she+is+a+National+Merit+Scholarship+semifinalist.+
Courtesy of Principal Singleton
Principal Singleton gives Megan Brue the news that she is a National Merit Scholarship semifinalist.

Senior Megan Brue was recently chosen as a semifinalist in the National Merit Scholarship Program. Only 5 students were selected in the Amarillo area.

When asked how she felt about being chosen, Brue smiled ear to ear.

“Mr. Singleton came to tell me at band practice, and I had no clue what it was about,” Brue said. “In the past, my scores had been on the fence so I didn’t know if I would make it or not, but he then told me I was a semifinalist, and I remember thinking that that was really cool.”

The National Merit Scholarship Program is an annual competition that high schoolers compete in for recognition and scholarships. It is based on academic achievements, along with the involvement of the student’s community. According to a press release, the program will give away nearly 28 million dollars in scholarships this upcoming spring. The requirements include a  scholarship application detailing the student’s school and community participation, leadership skills, employment, honors awards, etc., along with a practically flawless academic high school record. 

Brue grew up with four older brothers who all had an outstanding academic record in high school. They taught her how to learn and grow as a student.

“My brothers have taught me things that teachers couldn’t, and I’ve really enjoyed growing up with them,” Brue said.

Her number one supporter and the person she would like to thank for getting her into the position that she is in is her mom.

“My mom supports me so much and has helped push me in all that I do,” Brue said. “It’s great to have someone to look up to.”

Brue isn’t the only one who is excited about this opportunity. Principal Steven Singleton is very eager for her as well.

“If you took millions of kids across the county and told them that they were gonna get an opportunity to show what they know, the thing about Megan is she took it well beyond the 99 percentile and became one of the 16,000,” Singleton said. “She is such a dedicated kid and a committed student.”

Singleton praised her dedication to extracurriculars as well as academics.

“To be able to do all of those things that require a tremendous amount of commitment outside of the school day, and to still be able to perform at the high level that she does academically, is just unbelievable,” Singleton said. “I have such a high level of respect for that, and it’s hard to respect a student more than Megan Brue for what she’s done.”

The National Merit Scholarship Program only selects 16,000 students as semifinalists out of 1.3 million applicants.