Choir collects donations for wildfires in the Panhandle

TEXAS A&M FOREST SERVICE

The Randall High School Choir, along with Key Club and Leo Club, is collecting donations to help support the families who have been affected by the wildfires that started on Monday. The items needed include canned food, toiletries, clothes, shoes, blankets, water and personal care products. Donations will be accepted until March 8 and can be dropped off in the choir room. 

A devastating event that started on Monday afternoon prompted this drive with large fires burning over 100,000 acres of land north of Amarillo. These big wildfires were started by the rapid winds blowing across the Panhandle and the dry conditions. Multiple areas had to be evacuated due to the fire growing too close to their homes and the amount of smoke polluting the air. 

According to the Amarillo Globe-News, the Smokehouse Creek Fire near the town of Canadian has burned over 1 million acres, making it the largest in Texas history, as of Thursday, Feb. 29.

Keep the people and these towns in your prayers as they navigate this disaster. Randall, you can help by supporting the drive, more information is below.