LEO Club Officially Instated into LEO Program

RHS LEO Club, a new club at Randall since October 2023, was officially instated into the LEO Program on March 21. They were instated at the Lake Tanglewood Community Center by Chris Rogers, First Vice District Governor.

LEO Club has been around since 1957, and in 1967 it was adopted as an official program of the Lions Club association. It is a volunteer community service group that spans across the globe for ages 13-18. Only until recently has this school had a LEO Club of its own, in which the members have quickly contributed to, such as making their own website, social media platforms, and even a short advertisement.

RHS LEO Club was founded by Deanna Porter, 2nd Vice District Governor, and is sponsored by Dan Cowan, Lions Club President of the Lake Tanglewood branch. The installation ceremony included a speech by Cowan, following some notable recognitions from the RHS LEO Club members, including the club advisor, Sharon Anderson, and the officers, such as President Regan Sullivan, Vice President Kimberly Fox, Secretary Alex Satterwhite and Treasurer Brooke Lee. There are around 20 members in total, but Anderson said she hopes it will increase exponentially in the upcoming years.

“I plan to continue to see the RHS LEO club grow in number and the ability to lead and serve at Randall High and out in the community,” Anderson said. “Each Leo member is uniquely gifted and talented. I hope that students continue to bring their abilities and unite to be the hands and feet of our surrounding area.”

The ceremony was an “incredible experience” for all RHS LEOs, according to Anderson.

“It allowed our club the opportunity to come together with the Lions and pledge their decrees to serve our community and school to the fullest of their ability,” Anderson said. “We were welcomed with open arms and every Leo member was made to feel welcomed and that they belonged.”

Porter had wanted LEO Club at Randall for the past 10 years, and now her expectation has become a reality, she said she was pleasantly surprised.

“When past District Governor Bill Craddick said that he might have a person for me, I was excited, but I didn’t know what to expect,” Porter says. “When I met Mrs. Anderson, she seemed so excited and willing to help start a Leo Club and talked about the endless possibilities that y’all could do — I knew my dream had become a reality.”

Porter, along with Chris Rogers, both agree that the LEO Club has surpassed what they expected and fully believe that the club will accomplish great things.

“The projects that you have undertaken so far in such a short time shows me that you have ambition, the ability to work hard and make sure you succeed while you are doing it,” Porter said. “My hope is that you continue to follow your heart, keep your hands and feet working in the community, and most importantly, enjoy the service!”

“I met the Leos at Randall, and I was blown away by their enthusiasm and hearts for service,” Rogers said. “The Lake Tanglewood Lions Club could not be more proud to sponsor the outstanding students in the Randall High School Leo Club… I hope that you will learn how to work in an organization, how to deal with committees, learn networking, how to handle difficult issues, and how to celebrate your successes. My hope is that you all will take what you learn early in the Leo Club and continue a lifetime of service to others.”

View Comments (3)