Filed under Opinion

The Refugee Flood

Syrian refugees are flooding out of their homes and into Europe and the US, the majority of them Muslim, and Obama is calling for more to come.

The US already has a terrorist problem and letting more Muslims or people in general into the country is not going to help the situation. Not all terrorists are Muslims but a large enough number of them are to raise concerns. It is not a matter of prejudice when it comes to Syrian refugees; it’s a matter of national safety as well as adding to the problems the US already faces.

A large flood of people of any religion or area flooding into the country can cause problems. It is easy to miss a handful of terrorists in a group of ten thousand. Any one of the refugees or any immigrants could be a member of ISIS. US Immigration cannot successfully screen all ten thousand Syrian refugees Obama plans on accepting into the country. An example of the danger this situation presents is in Paris, where 128 people died at the hands of ISIS. Shortly after the attack France closed its borders, understanding the danger the refugees placed them in. We should not have to suffer a tragedy like Paris to understand that closing the borders is the best option to keep our country safe.

Closing the borders to refugees would allow America a chance to try and get a handle on the problems we have rather than invite new problems in. America is already struggling with the economy, unemployment, and terrorism that is already here and it would be unwise to take on more problems the refugees would bring from other countries. If your boat has a hole in it, it’s not a good idea to start inviting people, who could possibly cause trouble, in. America should deal with the problems it has rather than take on other countries problems.

As of 2013, 610,042 people were homeless in the US. American citizens, children and veterans, are living in the streets or shelters. Admitting thousands of homeless from another country into the United States will not aid in the attempt to get our citizens off the streets. If there is enough space readily available for ten thousand people, it should be used to house our countries homeless not refugees that could potentially cause problems.

The opposition believes that closing the American border is prejudice, racist and will damage America’s reputation further, but closing the borders to Syrian refugees, like Governor Gregg Abbott has done in Texas, would be in the best interest of the countries security and economy.

People who believe that taking in ten thousand refugees is a good idea should consider how this would affect homeland security and the American economy. The United States of America should consider its own situation and close the borders before taking on another country’s problems.