Bible Literacy Students Participate in Passover Seder Activity

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paige James, Staff Writer

On April 6, in Mrs. Hair’s Bible Literacy class, student’s brought Matzah, lettuce pieces, parsley, salt water, water, grape juice, charoset, and horseradish to participate in a Passover Seder activity. Passover is a Jewish holiday honoring the Israelites being freed from Egyptian slavery.

The Passover lesson was taught to students by going through the process of the Seder. First, students dipped a piece of parsley in a cup of salt water, which symbolizes tears, and then students took a sip of grape juice. During a real Passover Seder, wine would be used instead of juice. Next, students passed around matzah, which is similar to a cracker, and broke a piece off. The piece of lettuce was laid on top of the Matzah, and then charoset was placed on the lettuce and topped with horseradish. Charoset is a mixture of chopped apples and walnuts mixed with grape juice. The charoset symbolizes the structures the Hebrews made while they were slaves.

Students also learned about the hand washing ceremony and other activities that occur during a Passover Seder.

Paige James, Staff Writer

My names is Paige James. I am a senior, and I am involved in theatre and Key Club. I joined the newspaper staff because I enjoy writing.