Options Available for Students Experiencing Depression, Mental Health Concerns

In light of recent studies highlighting the persuasive impact of mental health issues of individuals worldwide, advocates are urging for heightened awareness and support systems to address the complexities of mental states, depression, and overall well-being.

Conversations surrounding mental health have gained traction in recent years, with discussions increasingly focusing on the significance of understanding and addressing various mental states. Experts emphasize that mental states encompass a broad spectrum of emotions, thoughts, and behaviors, which can fluctuate based in individual experiences and external factors.

One of the most common mental states affecting millions globally is depression. Characterized by persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and loss of interest in daily activities, depression can significantly impair one’s quality of life if left untreated. Recent data indicates a concerning rise in depression and suicide rates, particularly among young adults, highlighting the urgent need for accessible mental health resources.

Dr. Olga Tolscik, a psychiatrist based in Amarillo, highlights the importance of destigmatizing discussions surrounding depression.

“It’s crucial for individuals to recognize that experiencing various mental states, including depression, is a common human experience,” Tolscik said. “By fostering open dialogue and providing support, we can help individuals navigate through challenging periods and access the resources they need.”

However, addressing mental health goes beyond tackling depression alone. It encompasses promoting overall mental well-being and cultivating resilience in the face of life’s challenges. Advocates emphasize the importance of adopting a holistic approach to mental health, which includes self-care practices, seeking professional support when needed, and building supportive communities.

Jennifer James, the nurse at Randall High School, offers resources to help students with depression or other mental health concerns.

“I think the first thing we have to do to help students/humans suffering with depression is acknowledge that mental health is an issue we are dealing with,” James said. “I wish we could come together as a community/nation to stop stigmatizing those who are suffering.”

At Randall High School you can visit with your counselor, school nurse, or request to visit with a social worker from portable 7. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers a helpline for all U.S. residents to receive assistance for depression and/or any form of mental health issue. Call 800-950-6264 from Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., or text “HelpLine” to 62640. You may also visit the Texas specific NAMI website.