‘I Love Boobies’ bracelets cause controversy

“I Love Boobies” bracelets can be seen everywhere. In fact, it is estimated that more than $5 million will be sold this year alone. Men, women and children of all ages are clearing the shelves of the colorful $4 rubber bracelets that claim to support breast cancer awareness.

While many buy the bracelets with the idea that their money is helping to find a cure or provide funds for research, in actuality, the bracelets serve one purpose, “Hey, we like boobs and oh by the way, breast cancer exists.”

The American Cancer Society has no part in producing the bracelets. A third-party organization out of California called The Keep a Breast Foundation makes, sells, and distributes the bracelets. Out of the $5 million they collect this year, only $100,000 will been given to breast cancer programs. None of the funding goes to help find a cure or funding for breast cancer research.

This foundation is making millions off of a product that claims to raise awareness. But what defines awareness? Should an organization be allowed to produce a product that refers to male genitals and claim that it benefits prostate cancer? We know breast cancer exists and prostate cancer exists as well, but where is the line drawn? It seems that anybody can set up a foundation producing bracelets, or t-shirts, or coffee cups for that matter and call it raising awareness.

While we are fighting to raise awareness we should be mindful to what exactly we are raising awareness for. The fact that the bracelets are such a popular fashion trend seems to override the true purpose of the bracelets – to aware people of the arising issue of breast cancer.