Pit bull attacks infant

Pit bull attacks infant

Early October 3 an 11-month old baby died after being mauled by the family’s pit bull mix. The newborn was drug from its crib and suffered fatal bite injuries that resulted in her death. The pit bull was immediately euthanized, but the effect of the baby’s death will forever disturb the life of single mom, Monique Hernandez.  The mauling adds yet another statistic to the number of people killed by these animals each year. Since 2005 pit bulls have been the cause of death for over 88 people in the United States. This is equivalent to an American citizen being killed every 22 days by this over-aggressive breed. Historically, pit bulls were bred in order to display dominance and aggression towards other dogs. Pit bulls characteristics, including powerful jaw-strength, fatal bite style and high tolerance for pain, make it an all around dangerous breed.

Breeding pit bulls should be outlawed for the safety of all citizens.

Throughout history, pit bulls have been bred and raised for the purpose of fighting and being overly aggressive. As a result, the dogs often display extreme aggression and outrage. Mauling, attacking and physical assault is often an effect of this breed’s history. With such a violent past, these dogs are bound to cause harm. Pit bulls are no more suitable as a pet than a wild coyote would be.

Whether the dog has been a “family pet” for years, or has been trained to fight, the dogs’ actions cannot be predicted. Pit bulls have been known to have random, unexpected behavior, resulting in unpredicted, surprising attacks. Everyone is in danger when a pit bull is present, whether that be a passerby on the street, an animal control worker, or in the most recent case, an innocent baby napping in its crib. By taking this breed out of society, people would become more safe and secure.

Eliminating this dangerous breed would lessen the number of deaths per year. Why would citizens continue to allow something so harmful and threatening remain among us? We should not keep these monsters in our homes, on the streets or anywhere near human beings. Pit bulls take the lives of too many, yet continue to be bred and kept in homes across the United States.

As the top most dangerous dog breed known to man, pit bulls should be outlawed. These dogs astonishing behavior and aggressive nature causes harm to innocent humans. Banning the breed would make communities as a whole safer.

View Comments (7)