Substitutes: teachers who deserve equal respect

Disrespect is typical among high school students. Teenagers often have the tendency to think of themselves more highly than others around them, including adults. One of the most common displays of disrespect occurs in classrooms, particularly when substitute teachers are in charge. Students disrespecting subs can become out of hand very quickly.

Students should understand the amount of effort substitutes put into their jobs, and should treat each sub with a better attitude and more respect.

Students are expected to treat adults with respect, and substitutes are no exception. By coming into an unfamiliar classroom and working with students they are not familiar with, subs spend an entire day helping to guide children while their regular teacher isn’t present. All the work that being a substitute requires should make students thankful for these teachers. After all, it would be hard to learn without one.

Because a substitute is often not familiar with a classroom, as well as the students in that class, it is more tempting for students to take advantage of the sub. Manipulating a substitute is one of the biggest signs of disrespect. Simply because the substitute is new to the class doesn’t make them inferior to any student.

Not only is disrespecting a substitute teacher ridiculous and rude, but it creates a bad name for students as a whole. A sub who is manipulated and not treated with respect in a classroom will likely dread coming back to sub, if they even come back at all. It is embarrassing to be associated with a student body that is known to be insulting, rude and manipulative.

In conclusion, substitutes should be thought of as regular people who deserve respect and a competent attitude. They should be welcomed to our school, instead of overlooked.