Law enforcers: Who holds them accountable?

Imagine a world without police officers. An innocent citizen walks into her home and suddenly notices the place is a wreck. The front door is busted in and broken glass is scattered across the floor. The woman quickly rushes to check out the rest of her destroyed house. With each room she examines, she notices another prized possession missing. Soon, she begins to comprehend the amount of damage that has occurred, and the irreplaceable keepsakes that have forever been taken from their possession. Without police, there would be no repercussions for any criminals who commit crimes against innocent people, and no justice would be served.

For the ignorant citizens who believe they should be allowed to break the law and receive no punishment, cops may appear to use their power too harshly. But in reality, cops only work to keep the community safe. In no way do law enforcement officers abuse their power.

According to dictionary.com, the definition of a police officer is “a person hired to uphold the laws.” Their job as police men and women is to do just that; make sure everyone is following the rules in order to keep the community safe.  A common misconception when it comes to cops is the belief that they work against the people, instead of in favor of. If this were the case, people would be entirely on their own when it came to dealing with disaster. Consider being involved in a car wreck. Calling 911 is usually an immediate reaction upon being involved in or even witnessing a wreck. The purpose in calling 911 is for help. If policemen worked against citizens, they wouldn’t bother risking their lives to take these calls and help keep people safe.              

Of course, no one enjoys seeing red and blue lights in their rearview mirror after violating a traffic law. However, it is these warnings that teach drivers to obey the rules. Without police officers to enforce rules on the road, streets would become much more dangerous, and automobile related deaths per day would more than triple. When it comes to enforcing laws on the road, cops often have a negative connotation attached to their name. Drivers need to take the time to realize that police officers are only doing the job they were hired to do.

Individual police officers do not set their own standards when it comes to the measures they take when enforcing laws. By obeying specific guidelines, cops are insured to treat each person fairly. They are enlisted an equal and reasonable amount of authority to prosecute people who do not abide by the laws.  People who claim to be treated unfairly or “singled out” by law enforcement officers are often too moronic to understand that police officers are simply protecting their safety, as well as the people around them. If laws are broken, it is part of their responsibility as police officers to take action and enforce punishment on those who fail to obey. Before accusing a police officer of abusing their power, consider the fact that they’re required to do their job enforcing laws, and no one person is an exception to their authority.

In conclusion, cops simply work to keep citizens safe. They are accredited a certain amount of power that allows them to take action when the law is broken. By doing their job, they only help the community in a fair and unbiased manner.