Horse slaughter: inhumane, unethical

Horse slaughter: inhumane, unethical

Last month, President Barack Obama quietly signed into law a spending bill that will help restore the horse slaughter industry in the United States. By signing this bill, he has refunded government’s ability to inspect plants that slaughter horses and sell them for consumption. Five years ago, when government spending was cut, inspection of horse slaughter plants halted, and without inspection, horse meat could no longer be sold to consumers. This caused horse slaughter plants to shut down. Though there are currently no horse slaughter plants open in the US, this could quickly change as more and more citizens see the industry as an opportunity to make a profit. As of now, slaughter plants are predicted to quickly spring up in Montana and Wyoming, although typically anyone could open a plant anywhere in the US.

Before horse slaughter can even be considered, a more professional, better constructed and less brutal process must be created. Until then, horse slaughter is completely inhumane and unethical and shouldn’t be practiced in the United States.

For horse owners who are irresponsible and don’t take proper care of their horses, this must be great news. These immoral, inconsiderate and disgraceful horse owners who starve their horses and then send them to a slaughter house for a quick profit are essentially being rewarded for their irresponsible action. Not to mention, these people are breaking anti-cruelty laws by starving their horses in the first place. What a great opportunity this must be for owners who don’t have the heart or responsibility to take care of the animals they thought they could afford. These horses are pets. What’s next taking dogs and cats to local slaughter houses for some quick cash?

This introduces the next concern, the inhumane actions that occur quietly within each slaughter house for horses. Although horse slaughter supporters try their best to sugar coat the description of the process to make it seem as blameless as possible, there is no denying that the process is brutal, gruesome and bloody. It is also important to keep in mind that while Professor Pinhead may seem like a credible source, he or she also has their own personal opinion on the matter, and it will likely be shoved down your throat in an anything but “unbiased” manner. These uneducated assumptions that citizens acquire from the media, educators and other slaughter supporters are disproven by a simple look inside one of these plants. In reality, anything but a happy-go-lucky atmosphere will be found. Keep in mind, horse slaughter is NOT euthanasia, and cannot be described in such a way as putting the horse “to sleep.”  For horses, slaughter is a horrifying end. The torture begins right away in the chaotic, deranged auctions that stress the animals to their maximum, some who are already injured and in pain. Next, hundreds of horses are roughly crammed into cattle trailers. Because of the limited space and careless loading maneuvers, many fall and are not able to get back up. Upon arriving to the slaughterhouse up to hundreds may already be injured or crippled, because of the unorganized and ridiculous traveling they have already been a victim of. However, this doesn’t gain anyone’s sympathy for the tortured animals. Little do these horses know, it will only get worse from here. Not long after this the horses are compacted into tiny runs that lead to the “knock box.” Once they arrive in here, death lies a couple hours away. Yes, hours. This process is definitely not quick or painless. Next the horse is struck in the head. What a well thought-out and professional procedure, right? This process is to make it easier for the slaughterhouse workers who let money drive them to perform such a degrading and horrifying task. Although the goal is to cause the horse to lay down for the rest of the process, this method of beating a horse until it is unconscious is often anything but successful. This inefficient and idiotic procedure often doesn’t work, and as a result, the horse can be completely conscious while the worker proceeds to slit the horse’s thick neck. The horse is then strung up by one of its hind legs. Because of the heavy weight the leg is holding, this quick and inconsiderate method can break up to seven of the bones in the horses hind quarters causing even more pain, as if he hasn’t suffered enough already. From there the horse hangs as every ounce of blood drains out of it’s freshly cut neck. The horse is eventually unconscious and then sadly, dead. Many supporters claim the only “bad” slaughterhouses exist in Mexico or Canada. However, with a little educated research it is quick and easy to come upon tremendous amounts of archives full of pictures and recorded documents taken from American slaughterhouses where the conditions are just as horrific. Believe it or not, these conditions have once occurred right here in our very hometowns and will soon reappear. The horse slaughter process goes deeper than profit and consumption. It regards the concern of ethics and morals. It is a fact that the process that occurs within horse slaughter houses is inhumane. Don’t think so? Look for yourself. Pictures speak louder than words.

Another one of the many points pro-horse slaughter activists argue is that the only horses sent to be slaughtered are ones who are old or severely injured. This ignorant statement can easily be disproven. Anyone who is naïve enough to believe the false statements the media presents should consider themselves ignorant and uneducated. Keep in mind, there are no laws or rules that limit the age or quality of horses that may be allowed to be slaughtered. Any horse, no matter age or physical ability, may be sent to the slaughterhouse for any or no reason at all. In the past, young and healthy horses have been sent to slaughterhouses regularly and just as often as incapable or old horses. What about the horse that seems impossible to break, or can’t be tamed by even the best of equestrians? Certainly these horses will find themselves being beat in the head in just a matter of time. Consider the horses that are perfectly healthy and capable, but the owner can no longer afford to feed them or has no use for them. You guessed it. These young and innocent horses will be hanging unconscious in no time. When it comes to the point humans are destroying and torturing animals to can a small profit, ethics need to be reconsidered.  ­­­In the first place, purchasing a horse comes with the silent agreement that the owner will take care of the horse for the rest of its life. Would it be acceptable to auction off children once parents had enough use out of them as well? If the owner finds himself in a bind and can no longer afford to feed the horse, then the appropriate task would require finding a new owner to provide care for the horse. Slaughter is not the only option for a retired horse. Although it may require some effort to relocate the horse, it is possible. This proves that the argument stating “no one will want a retired horse so slaughter is the only option” is completely invalid and nothing more than a careless excuse. These pets’ lives aren’t worth just some extra cash. Who cares if such a process can make a profit if doing so is 110% unethical?

Forget how horse slaughter “benefits” the economy, the horse industry or citizens themselves. Instead, consider some morals that go beyond the desire for making money. Before you set your mind to believe that the slaughtering of horses will make the economy and the horse industry so much better, question that thought. Is murdering horses and gaining a small profit really going to turn the economy around and make everyone rich and happy? Unlikely. Let’s be real here. The United States has survived fine for five years without horse slaughterhouses and can easily continue to do so. By sending horses to their death through this horrifying and monstrous horse slaughter business, humans are disregarding any code of ethics ever brought about in our country. Horses should be treated as any other pets are treated. When dogs and cats are needed for consumption and become victims of slaughter houses, then maybe the horses will be considered or necessary. However, until then horse slaughter goes beyond profit and is completely unnecessary. Instead it affects lives of innocent and undeserving pets in a way that is disturbing, horrifying and completely disgusting.

View Comments (1)