Soldier contoversy blown out of proportion

After an exclusively graphic video of United States troops peeing on dead Taliban members was aired over the internet, headlines sprang up everywhere. News stories claiming how “unethical” and “disrespectful” these American soldiers are continue to be published in papers all over the world. People around the world push for punishment of the troops caught on film.

Although the subject has been completely blown out of proportion, the soldiers should not be ridiculed or punished for their actions.  

First of all, being that the Taliban members had already been dead for some amount of time the actions of the troops did not harm, embarrass, or afflict the men whatsoever. Numerous accounts of this same action have been recorded; it just so happened these soldiers got it on film. Try punishing every other troop who has admitted to doing the same thing.

Why is it all of a sudden the United States top priority to refrain from “offending” the Taliban after they caused such tragedy for our country on September 11, 2001? Despite the tragedy the Taliban caused for the United States, as Americans we still work our hardest in order to keep from offending them. It is saddening to think of the American lives lost at the hands of the Taliban members, yet we still work to please their every desire.  How ridiculous.

After risking their lives daily, who is to blame the hard working soldiers for adding a little humor to their work day? After seeing friends die at the will of the Taliban members, it is understandable the disgust and hatred they must have for the relentless men. It may be easy for a common man to complain that their actions were “stupid” or “childish,” but in all honesty, no one will understand the circumstances these men are under until they load up their boots and travel thousands of miles away along with them.

All in all, punishing these soldiers would be unjust, unfair and ridiculous. The Taliban members were not harmed in any way, and nor was anyone else. The troops committed a simple act of humor and are not at fault for any harm whatsoever.