AP Tests: Benefit or Waste?

When a student reaches the junior level of high school, AP classes become available. These classes are designed to challenge students and prepare them for college. In May, students have the option of taking an AP test to demonstrate their knowledge or proficiency in the subject. Although students are not required to take the AP exam, it is highly encouraged. This attitude, however, may be incorrect.

Firstly, some AP classes are also Dual Credit. Therefore, taking the AP test for college credit in a dual credit class is pointless and a waste of money, because the student gets credit no matter what they score on the AP test. The only benefit for a student taking the AP test in a dual credit class would be to show potential colleges their score.

The failure rate for AP tests is fairly high. Students waste money and time on a test they won’t pass. Students who don’t do well in the class to begin with won’t do well enough on the AP test to earn college credit.

However, for classes that are only AP and not dual credit, the test offers a chance for student to earn college credit early and for a significantly lower price. This is certainly an advantage, especially for students who excel in the class. In addition, students who score high enough on the test can show colleges scores.

In all, the AP test should be the student’s choice based on the class’s automatic credit, and the students’ proficiency in the subject.