‘The Hunger Games’ proves to be hit

The film, The Hunger Games, released in theatres Mar. 23 and directed by Gary Ross, was definitely a screenplay worth paying twice the ticket price for. As the release date drew nigh, there was more than buzz floating around about the trailblazing film. The Hunger Games did not go without making its way across the lips of every American that could speak plus some.

The film is set in a futuristic totalitarian society similar to that of George Orwell’s novel, 1984, called Panem, which is set up into 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year, Capitol selects a boy and girl, also known as tributes, to fight to the death in The Hunger Games as the other citizens watch on live television. Out of the 24 contestants, there is one winner. The film depicts, 16 year old Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers to take her sister, Prim’s place in that year’s games for District 12. The viewers watch Katniss, a strong-willed and passionate teen, and her male companion from her district, Peeta, as they are impeded with incredible tests of adversity, emotion and decision-making as they face the great fight for their lives and their diginity.

Actors and actresses include Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, and Liam Hemsworth, whose character, Gale, poses as Katniss’ lover back home. This film is based off of Suzanne Collins novel, The Hunger Games, as the first part of a trilogy which includes two succeeding books, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. The film is rated PG-13 and includes intense violence and some disturbing images which may not be suitable for children under the age of 13. The film gets an overall rating of 9 stars out of ten and a movie definitely worth the money.