Firing Back: Modern Times Call For Gun Law Reform

Hanna Edwards, Staff Writer

Schools have had a problem that has not been addressed for years- April 20, 1999 to be exact, when two young men walked into Columbine High School with guns and bombs then killed 12 classmates and teachers and injured 21 others. 

When the U.S Constitution was ratified in 1791, the Founding Fathers wrote a Bill of Rights which gave Americans the right to bare arms. This right has been up for debate in recent times, leaving many to argue how it should be viewed in modern day.

When the founders wrote this bill, a gun took a full minute to load and fire one shot and was used primarily by mercenary groups to fight for the 13 original colonies of America. Now, there are 50 states and millions of people living the the country. Access to rifles, machine guns, shotguns and pistols have become commonplace, and machine guns that fire 300 rounds per minute is not something that our founders could have imagined when they granted this right. 

Weaponry began to become a problem in civilian life in the 1930s. Following the Valentine’s Day Massacre where seven members of Chicago’s North Side Gang were murdered, the first gun control legislation was passed in 1934. In 1938, after a group of felons began illegal sales, it became law that salesmen must have a license to legally sale firearms. Then in 1968, after the assassination of John F. Kennedy and Martin L. King Jr., a bill placed age restrictions and stopped felons and the mentally ill from owning a gun.

Today, even with this legislation, fatalities resulting from civilian gunfire are only increasing, most recently at Santa Fe High School in Texas. Since the beginning of 2018 there have been 22 school shootings that resulted in at the least one death or more. This is alarming considering that only 13 service members have been killed in combat zones during the same time frame.

Modern times call for gun law reform. It is time to stop debating our Founding Fathers intentions and start pressing current lawmakers to take action.

Hanna Edwards, Staff Writer

I am Hanna, I am a sophomore and a writer for the school's newspaper. I'm involved in art club as well. I would like to one day be a photographer for National...

1 Comment

One Response to “Firing Back: Modern Times Call For Gun Law Reform”

1. Kevin Powell on October 18th, 2018 2:00 pm

I do agree, but to a degree, I don’t. Lawmakers have been pressured and have been trying different ideas to combat the problem but to no progress. The main philosophy of firearms right now is that we intend to keep the Founding Fathers’ intentions as closely as possible, but this has blown out of the proportions that the Founding Fathers thought possible, which makes it contentious. The government realizes the issue of guns and violence but the other main of a gun is to allow an individual to defend their property and family. Criminals do not care for laws since they do not abide by them, which civilians normally do and with civilians not having guns to protect themselves, criminals have free reign over the average person. You can argue that it should be the police’s job to protect you, which it is, but Americans have always tried to keep the right to defend yourself a staple of American freedom. Not only is the right to bear arms a main pedestal of American freedom, but is integral to the way that the Founding Fathers envisioned it, which the Fathers themselves are also one of the most important pieces of America itself. America and its employees believe that keeping the core of America’s structure as close to the freedom the Founding Fathers founded is the correct way for it to be ran.