Skipping for Cause: Students Across Globe Ditch School for Climate Change

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maci Weathers, Staff Writer

When the climate is failing and plants are fading away, the issue about climate change shouldn’t be a fight between political parties. It is a fight that everyone needs to face together.

Climate change is real. It can show up in abnormal temperatures, weather types acting abnormally and  volcanoes, earthquakes and hurricanes becoming more severe. There are also species dying or becoming extinct without explanation. Nearly 40% of bee’s died in 2018, due to Colony Collapse Disorder and Climate Change.  Last year, Blue Macaws, the bird from the movie Rio, unexpectedly went extinct.  In September, Hurricane Florence hit land fall in North Carolina. This hurricane was already expected to be a bad one for the East Coast; however, the hurricane was much worse than predicted. Scientists claimed that rainfall with this hurricane is 50% worse and the hurricane followed a not so normal path. These reasons are exactly why we should all advocate for some type of change in the care of our planet.

On March 15, students staged walk outs during school to protest the fact that no one is doing anything for the planet. There were strikes planned in almost every state, and in 100 countries. In the U.S., strike participants were also supporting the Green New Deal, created by New York Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, that would make a complete transition of renewable energy by 2030. However, the Green New Deal is only one solution to this major problem.

Other solutions presented are teaching more about climate change in school. Climate change also correlates with changing the way we drive and the way we use our trash. Austin and other major cities have banned plastic bags from shopping, forcing residents to use reusable bags. Hawaii and both Disney Parks banned plastic straws, which encourages the use of more planet-friendly alternatives such as  paper or reusable straws. Hawaii also has banned a common chemical in sunscreen, saying that the chemical can destroy coral reefs.

Our world is changing, and it is time we start caring more for our dying earth while we still have it. If adults won’t listen, it is time for students to take the lead on climate change. Students need to convince adults to start panicking.

Maci Weathers, Staff Writer

Maci Weathers is a junior, and this is her second year on the newspaper staff.  Weathers wanted to join newspaper because she said it looked fun.  After...

1 Comment

One Response to “Skipping for Cause: Students Across Globe Ditch School for Climate Change”

1. Kaleb Coggins on April 26th, 2019 9:14 am

I don’t believe in climate change, I feel that the world might just be undergoing a change of sorts. Look back at the ice age, there was no one there to start it, the earth just got really cold due to a change in the axis rotation. Then it ended, no person was around changing climate with a few fires. We might just be going through the opposite of an ice age, and if it’s humanity’s time to go, then there’s no point in fighting it.