Seniors have responsibility to leave lasting legacy

Seniors+chant+V-I-C-T-O-R-Y+while+toilet+paper+is+thrown+at+the+white-out+pep+rally+on+Sept.+28.+
Camryn Barton
Seniors chant V-I-C-T-O-R-Y while toilet paper is thrown at the white-out pep rally on Sept. 28.

As I sit down to write my senior will for band, I’m realizing that we are already one-sixth of the way to graduation. Our time in high school is shorter than we expected. It feels like yesterday when we all walked in on our first day of freshman year. Now we are the big dogs on campus and students look up to us.

Everything we do leaves an impact, whether it is joining a team or making a new friend. Mr. Singleton always tells us that we need to be better than the last class, which means that we need to not only one-up the previous class, but blow them out of the water.

Randall focuses on tradition and legacy. The definition of legacy is the long-lasting impact on a person or a place. Every single hallway, classroom, and office has some sort of trophy or award pointing to our past. The main hallway where the front office is has a giant wall with a timeline from the opening of Randall to now that showcases our school’s legacy.

The amount of success Randall has had is not just because of funding or location. Most of our success has come from the drive and determination of others. Seniors most always lead that charge. Last year when we won the Lone Star Cup, the seniors played a big part in that victory. When our teams were playing the seniors were front and center at the student sections. When we had group events like homecoming and pep rallies, they were prepared to make the school a better place.

Senior year is not just about planning for college and your future. It is also about training the classes below you to keep our proud traditions going. That is what last year’s seniors and the seniors before did. How do you think PNE and Silver Ball are still going? Seniors invited us to go with them so that we would know how to participate and have fun.

Seniors have to pass the mantle down the line. Each class adds something better to Randall every year. We need to not focus on impressing but on making an impression. Impressing is only temporary.  Seniors, I would encourage you to break out of the class barrier. Make friends in different grades. We need to make sure that when we leave we will have peace of mind that Randall is in good hands. I have full faith in my class that we will leave one of the biggest impacts on Randall.

Seniors, get ready for victories and fun. We have another Lone Star Cup to win.