Before I die

A woman named Candy Chang became inspired when she lost someone very close to her. The side of an abandoned house in her New Orleans neighborhood became the canvas for Chang’s interactive public art project. Several large pieces of chalkboard were put up along the side of the house and repeatedly stenciled with the sentence “Before I die I want to_____.” The wall is open to anyone and everyone who wishes to share their goals and fill in the blanks, as small baskets filled with chalk also line the wall. The artist expressed her goal of getting people to remember what’s really important in their lives.

This idea was so great that it inspired “Before I Die” walls in several different countries all around the world. Including Kazakhastan, The Netherlands, The Azores, Mexico, Portugal and Canada. It also scored locations in Portsmouth, NH, San Diego, CA and Brooklyn, NY. And now contributions have been made to Randall’s own little “Before I Die” collection.

Sophomore Andrew Boyd said he wants “to paint a self portrait” before he dies and senior Mirranda Monroe wishes to “perform in front of a huge crowd.”  Sophomores Majesta Purayear and Jake Fletcher want “to visit the Harajuku area in Japan,” and “bungee jump from a hot air balloon.”

“I want to crowd surf,” junior Shiann Whetzel said. “I want to be in an opera, ride in a limo, crash someone’s prom, learn to play the lute, create a whole new genre [of music] by the time I’m 30, be a mime for at least 3 days and I want to cosplay.”