Scientists try to bring back the Woolley Mammoth

Over the next five years scientists and doctors will be trying to bring back the Woolley Mammoth.

In Siberia a thigh bone of a Woolley Mammoth was found in good condition in permafrost soil. With the marrow still in abnormally preserved conditions scientists from Sakha Republic’s mammoth museum and Japan’s Kinki University take this into their own hands. The scientists are taking DNA from the marrow found, then put into the nuclei of the eggs cell of an average elephant, and finally implanting the embryos into the elephant’s womb to be delivered trying to recreate and bring back to life the Woolley Mammoth. These scientists and doctors say they don’t see many complications with this procedure since the two are so closely related and will just have to wait and see if by 2016 a new breed of mammoths will be walking the Earth once again.

Russia has been the area where not only archeologists and scientists but hunters and even reindeer herders have found many fossils, bones and even full bodies of Woolley Mammoths. Recently a Reindeer herder in Russia found a baby mammoth sticking out of permafrost whereas before a few years ago was another baby mammoth found. The Arctic ice has kept these mammals well preserved enough the organs and skin are exact. Therefore making an even bigger chance of getting DNA and other important samples to possibly resurrect the Woolley Mammoth.